Sunday, April 19, 2015

Back in the Saddle

My out and back route had the dual advantage of being well known to me but not making me do to much of my regular commute mileage.
April.... really?!?

Weather, work travel and other competing priorities have kept my recreational mileage down so far this year.  I've gotten back in the swing of commuting in March and into April when I've been home but until this morning hadn't gotten in a single weekend morning ride beyond the odd short errand ride.

Today's ride was nothing epic but it felt great just to get out with no purpose other than to ride.  Great morning for it to, 65 degrees with the sun coming in for additional warmth as I rode. I picked a classic standby on the Arlington Loop, out and back to 'Mikes Deli @ Lazy Sundae' in Falls Church... just under a round 20 miles via Four Mile Run and Mount Vernon Trails.

I would like to have exercised the Bob Jackson on this route but I need to replace the chain, crank/BB and I have down tube shifters coming in early this week.  Instead of a frustrating, shift-slipping ride on the Jackson I opted for a spirited (for me) fat-tired jaunt on the classy Bombadil.... what a great bike, I really feel like it's dialed in at this point.  Of course I still want to swap the 48cm Noodle's for Dirt Drop bars, but I need to make sure I have reliable alternative transportation before messing with the one really dialed in bike!

2 1/2 hours for 20 miles with a 25 min breakfast/coffee stop in the middle, great way to start the day but it is a chunk of time.  I crave longer rides but continue to struggle fitting it into an already busy schedule.  For today I'll just be extremely satisfying with busting out of the slump of non-riding weekends and start figuring out my next jaunt.

Great new graphic showing the Arlington Loop,  Arlington does a great job publishing info about their bike infrastructure.

$5 at the Deli is pretty darn satisfying... and yes I finished the bacon!

No comments:

Post a Comment