|The remains of an aluminum seatpost.|
I threw in the towel on hard labor with the promise of good living through chemistry...
(not my video obviously) The picture up at the top of the post shows the results, a couple notes about the process. I ended up using 4 lbs of lye (sodium hydroxide) purchased first through Amazon and then at the local hardware store when I blew through the first 2 lbs in no time. The reaction, at least for me was way less catastrophic than I had anticipated. I ended up spending over 4 hours with the chemicals, it was a huge mess, I ended up with minor skin irritation on my face (probably wiping my cheek w/ my gloved hands). The frame was a mess, I thought I had ruined it to be honest but I just got fed up w/ the process and was sloppy towards the end. The frame finish was already really rough so once I wiped it all down the next day it was really no worse the wear. The truly disappointing part to me was that even with the application of so much time and chemicals I still had to use a hammer and screwdriver-chisel to remove the ribbons of seatpost painstakingly. I was so rough with the frame I thought for sure I'd deformed the seat tube for good.
As it turns out the Bridgestone took that walloping, took the chemical burns and spat it out like nothing. The bike now has a completely adjustable seatpost as was intended and I'm glad the project is over with! I'd be happy to answer any questions, the use of the lye is a tool in the tool box but I'll be attempting to never do it again.