Monday, April 1, 2013

A Classy Upgrade

I arrived in San Diego to find that 'Stay Classy Bike Rental' had indeed dropped off my bike at the hotel along with a message that the Raleigh Revenio 3.0 (aluminum) that I had reserved was not available so they had upgraded me at no additional charge to the Revenio 1.0 (carbon fibre), and that they 'hoped I wouldn't mind'...  pretty cool.

Now I have to admit to having some pre-conceived notions about carbon bikes, or aluminum for that matter.  I've wholly adopted the opinion that for most purposes a classic steel bike (preferrably lugged) is the right way to do biking... so this week will be a fun opportunity to see how the other half lives and experience the light weight road-machine world of carbon fibre, STI 'brifters', 10 Speed, and of course drop handlebars.

My first quick ride-around upon arrival was a harbor-side trip and here are my first reactions;

-Light weight... wow!  This seems to me to give you much quicker acceleration than I"m used to and makes it easier to handle the bike when you are stopped.
-STI 'brifters' are really cool
-My arms from the elbow down were sore immediately and getting numb from the drop bars
-San Diego has some great bike trails on its waterfront!

Lots more coming this week, I hope to get out every day even if it is fairly late in the evenings.

6.85 Miles (442.9 miles annually)
15/18 (Bike Commute/Available Days)
8 Max consecutive work days commduting by bike


A couple glamor shots of the Carbon Steed... lots of fighting with the Nikon wireless transmitter to make this happen... hope you like them!

10 Speed Brifters... both a first for me, and both a winner in the first outing.

I couldn't just leave well enough alone, the MKS Grip Kings came with me (along with my Vetta Saddle but that hasn't been installed yet), I wonder if this is the only carbon bike with these big platform pedals installed in San Diego...?

In all her glory.... Raleigh Revenio 1.0

No comments:

Post a Comment